250cc for New Rider recommended!

Home Forums New Member Area 250cc for New Rider recommended!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ChuckKLX
    Participant

I’m a new motorcycle rider. I have a Kawasaki KLX250 as a first motorcycle. I’ve owned a Chinese scooter in the past. I took the MSF Course and it was good that I did. I think any rider could benefit from it… new or experienced.

As a new rider, I find my bike to be good for me as its lite and easy to operate. I weigh 260+ lbs and have no problem with it in normal city traffic (25-50 mph). There’s even enough power to get me away from the traffic when the opportunity opens up. I’ve used it on the expressway and maxed out at 60 mph by choice. It had more to offer but I’m not into speed like that. I’m certain that a person weighing around the 200 lb range would move even faster. I’ve heard of 80 mph+. Yes higher cc bikes move out faster but 250cc isn’t super slow either. A friend has a 1700cc cruiser and I have no problem keeping up as long as he’s driving normal speed limits. He’s even thinking about getting a 250 for commuting after riding mine.

People have said that I need a more powerful bike but I’m fine with this. It’s basically used for a 12 mile round trip for work and sone cruising the city. I’m also an avid camper and it able to handle off road stuff also. It gets awesome gas mileage too. If I used it for work only I’d go 2 weeks on $6.00.
    Hopefully this post is helpful. If I left anything out, let me know and I’ll try to answer.

Ride safe

CycleCruza
    Keymaster

I was going to get a KLX250, nice bike. I like dual sports but you can’t really do to much with them where I live as there are no trails out here. Don’t worry about what people say, as long you are happy with your bike that’s all that matters. Really, for commuting a 250 is all that’s needed, the 250 does the legal speeds fine and you get great gas mileage. I enjoyed my cbr250r but I love fast starts and my 08 cbr600rr give me that rush of power off the line that I love. Not everybody desires speed though, as long as your bike meets your needs that’s all that matters. Enjoy your bike and ride safe! Thanks for posting!

jays3
    Participant

I bought a 2013 cbr500r as my first bike back in may but couldnt ride it till i passed the mandatory course where i live here in canada. Passed the course back in mid june and inly been riding for a few months but ive been riding as much as possible. Shit even rode in severe rain for a few minutes and it wasn’t as bad as i thought.

Anyway my initial buy was the cbr250r and was looking at videos online and thats how i stumbled onto your videos. I then found out about the new cbr500r which was pretty much twice the bike and still considered a beginner/starter bike. The bike cost roughly $2,000 more than the cbr250 and insurance here (although rediculous) was pretty much the same for bikes having 0-500cc. 501-1000cc is roughly $2,600-$3,000 a year or per riding season

CycleCruza
    Keymaster

Congrats on the new cbr500r jays3! That’s a really nice bike. Wow insurance is pretty high where you are, I feel lucky to only be paying $290 a year for my 2008 cbr600rr. When you get over the age of 25 your insurance will drop drastically. Ride safe!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.