First Bike in Los Angeles

Home Forums Motorcycle Talk First Bike in Los Angeles

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    steelco
    Participant

Hi. I’m really enjoying your videos. Thank you. I’ve never ridden a motorcycle and will be taking the MSF class soon. I grew up hearing about horror stories and always avoided motorcycles. But…the internal desire has awakened and it’s time to face the fear. I live in LA, where there’s an abundance of cars and traffic.
    I’m going to look into the CBR 250r. Do you recommend ABS for a first bike? Most of the bikes that are for sale are 2011, 2012, and 2013 and running about $3500. I didn’t find any of the earlier models for sale – at least in my area. Is there much of a difference between later models and 07/08? Should I tow the bike out of the city and find mountain roads or is the city/ highway ok? I didn’t see anything in your videos on – what to do scenarios – potholes, road debris, etc. Will the bike go over a pothole or will it go down?
    Thank you!
    Cory

CycleCruza
    Keymaster

Hey Steelco! Get the ABS brakes, that way you won’t have to worry about taking too much front brake in an emergency stop. get a 2011, those are just as good as the newer bikes.
    Stay off the highways for a while, wait until you are confident with your skills. Stick to riding in low traffic rural areas.
    As far as pot holes and bad road conditions, just make sure to keep keep an eye on the road at least 15 feet in front of you, dodge road conditions when needed. Best of luck!

steelco
    Participant

Thank you for the reply. Are you still recommending the CBR 250r for a first bike or start with the 500?
    Thanks!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.