How CycleCruza Probably Saved My Life

Home Forums Off Topic How CycleCruza Probably Saved My Life

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    idahopilot
    Participant

CycleCruza –
    Just wanted to drop a note and say, “Your advice probably saved my life, my legs, and my bacon!”

On 11/5/2015 I had the chance to put your advice to use in a pretty serious head-on collision (riding my BMW F700GS). I had previously watched many of your videos (subscriber) and came across the video on “how to avoid a serious injury” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0SnBusDwPY&index=6&list=PLo0f05WTTEJnO374f0v41P7h4EZVKNWzQ
    In this video, you recommend trying to jump clear of your pegs prior to an impact to save your legs, life, etc… As a long time mountain biker, I always tried to clear my bike in a crash – get that weapon away from me so I could just deal with the ground. So the advice seemed to resonate and make sense.

Anyway, back to the crash… this was a head on collision in the dark on an early morning commute. actually – it was head on, but oblique – right front / quartering front… When I realized that the crash was imminent and unavoidable – at the last instant, I jumped up to clear my legs from the bumper of the large pickup truck I was about to hit. While my legs were clear, my right hip impacted the front of the truck (somewhere) and launched me up in the air. It was so dark, I couldn’t even see what I’d hit or where I landed… but – after a quick ride to the hospital in an ambulance – I WALKED AWAY. I had a good, full face helmet and riding jacket / pants with CE armor. Helmet is destroyed. I had a slight concussion, some banged up ribs and a massive bruise on my hip. Contusions all over my body.

But, I am convinced that by clearing the pegs and getting my legs out from between the bars and the impact of the front of the truck, I’m alive and well. Just prior to impact – your video advice was in my mind – clear the pegs. I don’t know how far I got in terms of altitude – but there is no doubt in my mind that my legs are intact and I’m alive because of that effort…

Incidentally, I was laying on the C-Spine board in that back of the ambulance AT THE SCENE… my bike was in three pieces… I knew it was totaled (insurance agreed)… I was already thinking about my next bike. Not because I’m crazy – but because I know that bad stuff CAN happen, but by riding safely and defensively, you can minimize a lot of it. I was riding armored and safely for the conditions – just some bad luck caught up to me.

Keep up the great work and enthusiasm for the motorcycle, CycleCruza – and thanks for the tip… you can add “saved some guy from Idaho” to your resume.

James
    Boise, Idaho

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.