Making Turns and Shifting Gears

Home Forums New Member Area Making Turns and Shifting Gears

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    mitch061685
    Participant

Hi, I’m new here from Boxford Mass and from Phil as well.

I have CB300 Honda and this is my first time to drive with clutch and I can’t compose myself for perfect timing of shifting gears and not to stop when I hit the stop lights and all I’m scared making turns.

I drove motorcycles before but no clutch but that was like 7 years ago..
    What’s the best practice to overcome those?

TaiMc
    Participant

Hi Mitch! It sounds like you are having issues with your friction zone (the point in which power engages your rear wheel by letting off the clutch). I agree, it is tricky!!!

I was taught that the clutch is your best friend especially if you feel that you are losing control as once you fully compress it, it removes all power from that rear wheel. So, if you have problems stopping at lights, you need to fully engage your clutch (press it inward) AND use your front and rear brakes simultaneously if you can, then shift down to first afterward or simultaneously. This will make you have more controlled stops.

Also, it is important to shift gears by listening to your engine or viewing your tachometer for rpms. Typically tho, the sound of your engine will let you know when to shift.

I’m not sure what your issues are regarding turns…going too slow or too fast in a turn? You didnt really specify but I would suggest that you take a MSF Riding course. That course will teach you EVERYTHING about riding in a short period of time (it’s very condensed). It is worth it!

My course was awesome and After completing it, you may be eligible to get your motorcycle license (if you don’t already have it). The course is worth taking. It totally made me confident regarding riding…although it was the basics, I still think I would feel lost had I not taken it. Hope this helps!!! 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.